The Beginnings of Tau Chapter
The original name of the local fraternity that became the Tau Chapter of Alpha Gamma Rho was Beta Sigma Alpha Fraternity, and had its beginning on December 5, 1921. Mr. E. B. Hill, Assistant to the Dean of Agriculture at Michigan Agricultural College, and Mr. H. F. Wilson, Field Secretary of the Alpha Gamma Rho, selected seven students of agriculture as a nucleus of a new fraternity that would later become Tau Chapter of Alpha Gamma Rho.
Immediately this group began laying plans for organization with the intention of eventually having a Michigan Agricultural College chapter of Alpha Gamma Rho established. Many helpful suggestions in organizing from this standpoint were received from two Alpha Gamma Rho alumni at the college:
Coach A. M. Barron, Gamma Chapter, and Doctor Paul Harmer, Lambda Chapter.
Under the guidance of Coach Barron and Dr. Harmer, Beta Sigma Alpha quickly grew to a membership of fifteen students whose aims were directed exclusively toward agricultural pursuits.